Sunday, May 01, 2005

Trip to Nandi hills

All this began with Jaat having to put night out to finish off his office work. It was 4:30 in the morning when I got a call from him asking if I was coming to Nandi hills. I instantly agreed - I like hills and I like trekking. Jha was the third person with us. We met at the Meckri circle(I apologize if the spelling is wrong) where Jha and Jaat were waiting with Jaat being the driver of his black Pulsar. I was on my black Splendor. Meckri circle has an aeroplane at the centre elevated at about 60 degrees from the ground about to take off. My bike didnt have much petrol. So, I asked Jaat to stop at some petrol pump. We started the journey with Jaat wearing my -0.5 specs and my helmet adorned me. Jha was sitting on Jaat's bike.

In about 15 minutes, we reached the palace grounds(I have been there for some cricket match). Going some more distance, I saw the most complex flyover structure that I have even seen in India. It reminded me of my Seattle trip. Jaat knew the way. But this complex flyover even perplexed him and we had to stop and ask a watchman of some building if this was the correct way. The building had a big banner saying "Walkin Interviews" and quite a few young guys were sitting on the staircase. When we went some more distance, the road ran parallel to a railway line and we came across a railway phatak(a Hindi word for gate). It had the most dangerous speed breakers on both the sides of track. I never notice the speed breakers and always jump as if horse riding whenever I encounter one. There were a lot of coconut trees spread on both the sides with a little more being on the right side - though I didnt count. Ohh yes, I forgot to mention that we stopped at a petrol pump, a HP one. But nobody bothered to come out for a mere bike. Then we stopped at another Indian Oil petrol pump and the guy came out after Jha made a lot of signals by waving his hands in all directions. As it was not the "Speed" petrol which my bike would have got used to, I got just enough petrol to reach there and come back. It was about 2.27 litres for 100 Rs. I thought it was a bit costly.
Moving ahead, we came across a tea/coffee shop on the right side of the road which was getting narrower and narrower. We decided to take a break, tea coffee and snacks. I had two cups(I wish I had a better name for the plastic Tequilla shot size cups) of tea, Jaat and Jha had two coffees each. Jaat got a 50-50 packet and Jha/I got a Parle G. I told Jaat that when I was a kid, I always wondered why the kid that shows in the Parle G biscuit pack is in such a strange state - seems the baby is wondering why he has been photographed. Then we came to a conclusion that the kid in the picture makes same actions as Hagga does. We laughed for about 10 minutes over this issue. The shop was quite cheap - only 16 rs. The walls of the shop were all covered with photos of Hindu Gods/Goddesses with an odd Bhoomika Chawla poster in between. The radio was playing I suppose Kannada Bhajans (as it was a morning time).

Theres a lot to add to this description - the sunrise, reaching the foothill, the ascent, the curves, the pavithra sarovara, antara ganges, hotel mayura, looking for Jaat, the breakfast, the descent and the fast, furious journey back to bangalore. I'll hopefully finish it tomorrow.

3 comments:

Varun Singh said...

My account of the journey recorded here. Make sure to put comments!

Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love auto performance then you will want to be there! All kinds of auto performance will be in attendance. For more information go to auto performance
See Ya There!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the cool horse . You'll have to stop by www.horseoutlet.com sometime!